Sunday 30 August 2015

August WIPocalypse, Halloween SAL & More

I am still very much behind with my blogs and everthing, but after a few VERY busy weeks (friends of Felix visiting, Felix' parents visiting, stuff like that) we are currently having a suprisingly lazy and gloriously stitchy weekend, and I slowly feel like I'm getting back on top of stuff. So first of all, I have three stitching updates to show.

The first one is my progress on My Day Off. It's been a bit neglected to to other, deadlines stuff (see below), but I did finish all the ground below the bath tub and am now moving onwards to the lower right corner.


Next up is a Halloween SAL I started with my girls. Carla, Nancy and I are SALing on the Halloween Spooky Sampler by the Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery, doing one block per week, and Ashley and Magical are tagging along with Halloween projects of their own choice. For my sampler, I decided on using the fabric 'Pumpkin Patch' by Sparklies, a bright orange, and I think t's working out beautifully :)


And last but not least, I'm taking part in the Hare Hop, a stitchy hop designed and organized by Stitchers Anon - in teams of four, we're passing around the specially designed pattern, each one of us having four weeks to stitch it. I took three weeks, although I could have been much faster if it wasn't for all the aformentioned busyness. To make my interpretation unique, I used 'Mist' by Nina's Threads for the writing, and swapped out a few of the other colours for ones I had in my stash.


Now this month's question for WIPocalypse is to talk about my stitching journey on one of the projects posted above, but as two of them have been started since my last update, and the other one only a few weeks back, there's not much to tell here. I actually wen through my WIPs and realzied that, apart from three UFOs (tablecloths are started waaaaay back and I'm not sure if I ever want to finish them) all of them have been started since the beginning of this blog, so less than two years ago. I think I can be a bit proud of that :)

So much for my stitching progress. Other things to catch up on:

  • I finished the second volume of the Case Closed/Detective Conan manga
  • Mostly during my vacation (but I just finished the last two chapters this week), I read Death of a Gossip, the first of the Hamish McBeth mystery novels my friend Carla loves so much. And I quite enjoyed it, it wasn't very impressive where the case is concerend, but did a great job making the characters really life-like, with both likable traits and little quirks. It was also not very long and a nice quick read, I have three more of the novels on my kindle and am looking forward to reading them.
  • Felix and I had a thing for older movies this past weeks, so we watched Hook, Karate Kid and Jumanji (Hook being the only one I've seen before, but it's been a while). I really liked all of them, and once again, I feel like I'm 'getting' many more jokes now :D 
  • We also finished watching How I Met Your Mother (S8, E21-24, and S9, E1-24). I know that many people hated the end. I already knew where the show was headed (we've been way to late with watching this to avoid spoilers), but I still enjoyed it, and frankly - in my believe, the ending is PERFECT. Having watched the whole show while knowing where it's going, there are so many hidden pointers throughout the seasons, and it all just makes so much sense.
  • We also started watching Fear the Walking Death (E1). Amazon prime is releasing the episodes one by one, right after they air in the US, and I really wanted to have this experience (of having to wait a full week for each new episode) once, although I like binge watching, this suspense is nice as well. Oh, and the premiere was really promising as well!
  • Now where watching Season 9 of Bones which just showed up on prime, so far we've seen the first five episodes and it's great to see all our beloved characters again. Also, Season 8 ended with a big spspense-thingy (not really a cliffhanger, but still) and we couldn't wait to see that resolved!
  • I also saw another episode of Once Upon a Time (S1, E11), but I'm really slow at watching stuff alone at the moment...

13 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Nice work! I love that Halloween one too, great choice of fabric. Bones is one of my favourite shows.

Heather said...

Wow you have been busy! Great progress :)

Susan said...

I don't know how you get so much done! Great progress on everything. Your Halloween SAL fabric is perfect - I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to try orange. Hope things settle down for a while for you.

Linda said...

They all look great Leonore.

Linda

Needles Everywhere said...

Beautiful work! It has been a busy summer I agree!

Suz said...

Your work looks great!
Netflix just put the last seasons of Once Upon a Time up... I've heard that season isn't so great, I guess I'll find out next weekend (my next planned binge ;) )

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the orange would work, but so far it looks like it really does :)

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks! It looks like much fore progress than it felt in the first place :D

Leonore Winterer said...

It didn't feel like a lot, but maybe that's because I was working on everything all at once...

To be honest, I was a bit scared about the orange at first. I even bought a less bright backup fabric, but when I had them both here and the floss toss worked out too, I just had to go for it!

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks Linda, I'm glad you like them :)

Leonore Winterer said...

Thank you! Summer seems to be busy time for everyone, and while I have quite enjoyed it this year, I'm really looking forward to quieter times as well!

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks! I really need to get up to speed with Once Upon a Time, or I probably won't be able to avoid spoilers for much longer, haha :D

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

YAY FOR HAMISH!! I'm so glad you are liking the story so far! My Day Off is looking really good and mostly done...you WILL get it done in time....that fabric for the SAL is beautiful and I love the Hare Hop project, you did a beautiful bit of stitching on that <3