Monday 31 August 2015

The Alphabet Club: Letter A

When Chiara from The Grey Tail first announced the Alphabet Club SAL, I was pretty excited, as it combines two of my favourite things: cross stitch and languages. I can not describe as well what Chiara and Jo have thought off, so if you are interested please follow this link to read the full decription. The short version is that starting this August, each month covers one letter, and we post about words, sayings or other stuff from our native language, which coresponding crafts pictures.

Now after the initial excitment, the busyness of summer washed over me, so I can only now on the very last day of the month actually do my post, but I have put some thinking into this before. I thought of doing some kind of theme, maybe flowers, or cuss words, or nursery rhymes, but I really can't find those for each letter of the alphabet...so I decided that this posts will just follow my fancy, sometimes goofy, sometimes more sophisticated, whatever strikes my mind ;)

So for this first month, the letter is A, of course, and my word is *drumroll*...




~ Angel ~

Now wait a minute, you might say, 'angel' isn't a German word! Well you're right, and you're also wrong. Now an angel as shown above in 'Angel of Frost' by Teresa Wentzler, which I stitched last winter, is called 'Engel' in German. But there is also the word 'Angel', which means fishing rod! Now you now these little arguments on facebook, where one party posts pictures of their baby/dog/kitty stating 'my little angle' and someone anwers 'yes, she's so acute' and then an argument breaks out whether confusing angle and angel is an understandable mistake or not? No you know one more meaning of the word for extra fun!

7 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Beautiful angel and great description. :)

Heather said...

Lol good point! I would have loved to see a cuss words one I bet that could have gotten creative ;). Your angel is lovely :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great post and a lovely angel. But I really want to see cuss words too! The only German one I know is schweinhund. I bet German is a great language to swear in.
I call my two boys my little angles, one is cute and the other obtuse LOL

Leonore Winterer said...

Thank you!

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks! I might do a cuss word special eventually, you all seem to be really eager to see one haha :D

Leonore Winterer said...

Thank you! If you really call your boys that, you are the greatest nerdy mum ever haha :D
I think I really need to do a cussing special. We do have a few nice ones, especially the Bavarians do!

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

Hurrah for A!! And it's always great to have one more opportunity to show off Angel of Frost (which apparently is said the same in English and in German except Ayn-gell (English) is Ahn-hel in German...right??