Saturday 3 October 2015

The Alphabet Club: Letter B

With how busy my life was those past few weeks, I have missed the checkins for quite a few of my SALs, and for the most part I'm okay with that - but The Alphabet Club is just a way too awesome idea to miss, so even if I'm a few days late, I'm still going to post my September-update (letter B) today, then hopefully be on time with C this month :)

Sadly, I didn't have any brilliant ideas this mont - I know some of you really like the swearing-idea, but that might be a special someday rather than the usual updates - and, for the worst part, I don't really have any stitching to show for the ideas I did have. So let's just split that - here's the stitching first:


~ Two bathtubs - or Badewanne in German. Quite a literal translation! ~

Now to be honest, bathtubs are pretty boring, so I'm going to talk about something else here, namely - bread! Now you might say, bread isn't any more interesting than bathtubs, but we Germans sure love our Brot. We eat a lot of it, mostly for breakfast and dinner, but there are also some warm meals that include it [this is assuming you eat a warm lunch and cold dinner, if you don't you might have to swap that around]. We don't really eat sandwiches (unless we're taking it somewhere, like children take their Vesperbrot to school (Vesper being another great German word - it describes a small snack or meal, usually bread, that is taken between breakfast and lunch. Kids will take a Vesper to school and eat it in the 'big break', usually around 10:30.) Usually, we just eat one piece of bread with something on top - Marmeladenbrot (bread with jelly or jam), Wurstbrot (breat with cold cuts - we do love our Wurstbrot!), Käsebrot (bread with cheese). Most people will also take butter on their bread, depending on what else they put on it. Personally I take butter with cheese and red jelly, and with some kinds of cold cut. I don't eat butter with yellow jelly, speading sausage, and Nutella. And sometimes I like to eat butter with peanut butter, with is a calorie fest, but so delicious! You can also eat a Butterbrot, so just bread with butter. Optionally, you can put some salt on it, or maybe chive or something...the Butterbrot is an old German favourite!

There are also many different kinds of bread. What I've seen of American bread (and I'm no expert on the subject, so I might be wrong too) is only used for toasting here. We have white bread, grey bread, black bread (also called by the lovable name of Pumpernickel), whole grain,  multiple grain, potato bread, carrot bread, sourdough bread...I just checked wikipedia and it says Germany is the country with the most kinds of bread worldwide. We even have a sweet fruitbread for christmas! In any case, a typical German bakery (Bäckerei - another B there!) looks much like this:



5 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Thank you for all the info on bread. I had no idea there was so many varieties in daily use there. I do love Pumpernickel myself.

Heather said...

lol I'm reading this while eating a bagel. I just thought that they should make pumpkin pumpernickel lol. I like wheat and sometimes rye. And of course I love me some garlic bread!

Leonore Winterer said...

No problem! I'm always amazed how many things there are that are everyday for me, but totally strange to other. Makes me wonder who much I'm missing out on myself!

Leonore Winterer said...

Pumpkin Pumpernickel sounds...interesting, but then I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin myself :D

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great post! I have stitched a bath tub before as part of a Dolls' House. There was possibly some bread in there too.
You have so many different kinds of bread and rolls. Do you have fluffy bread? LOL. I told my son that you DO have a word for fluffy and we must both learn to say it.