Monday 7 December 2015

The Alphabet Club: Letter D

This is an other format I didn't want to drop out of, busy or not, since I really like the idea - you kinda lost me at C, but there really aren't terribly many words starting with C in the German language. In fact, all I could think of are some words starting with 'ch', and those are mostly the same as in English, like China or Chemie (chemistry) or Chor (choir). Not very interesting. D is different though, I'm sure I can think of something interesting with D!

But first, for stitching with 'D' - here is Davy Jones:


Today's D-Word is going to be 'Dorf' - Village. There are quite a few Dörfer in Germany, especially in the mountain regions, like the Schwarzwald or the Spessart. Now the interesting part is (and I don't know how other countries handle this), in Germany, there is no set size when a village automatically becomes a town - 'town' or German 'Stadt' is a title that gets granted to a settlement, although I'm not sure about the exact conditions. So in theory, there could be a Dorf with a million people, or a Stadt with only 100.

Yes, that's kind of a short fun fact for today...I'm sure there are many more things one could say about villages and living in them, but I never have lived there so I don't have first hand knowledge. And everytime I start talking about it, Felix (who was born and raised in a village) throws my evil glances, so I think my idea of Dorfleben is probably not to realistic, so let's keep it at that ;)

4 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Very cute stitching!

Stitching Noni said...

Love your fun fact!
I fear that some of these letters are going to be quite tricky for me as well along the way.... it will be fun to see what we all come up with each month!
Hugs xx

Heather said...

Great choice I have no idea how it works on the states but I've often wondered about it lol I should look it up :)

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

OOO! I'm curious to know if Germany has more Dörfer than Alaska! So I checked and Alaska has 130 villages with fewer than 1,000 people, but according to the rules that govern what constitutes a "village" we have to have fewer than 2500 people, so the number of villages in Alaska would be larger. The BEST part is, because of my job I have spoken to at least one person from every village in that 130! It's wonderful!