Wednesday 31 May 2017

What happens on Cyprus...

...must be shared on the blog! Hello lovelies.I know it's high time for me to report back from my business trip to Cyprus earlier this month - it was great, lots and lots of food, nice people, and some interesting lectures too. Sadly, we didn't have much time to actually explore the island, but we had a guided tour and some bus trips to get a good impression of stuff. Cyprus sure had a rough history, being invaded again and again, the the current situation isn't looking all that bright either, but as usual, I don't really want to get political here. And the locals we met were all so very friendly and nice. It was fun and very interesting, but I'm not sure I will be back if business doesn't take me - the island is beautiful, but there are so many other places I also want to see - and I can't even remember the last time I traveled outside of Germany (and longer than a weekend) for pleasure!

As a crafter, of course I was interested in local techniques, and not having time to go look for them, I was very pleased to accidentally stumble across two of them. First, we got a little goodie bag hat the hotel, which contained these coasters. I don't have the name right now, but it's a special weaving technique (the coasters are photographs, not actual fabric), and there also was a flyer for a museum to learn more about it, but sadly, we did not have time to go there.


The other one I only say shortly before our departure, at the airport. It's called Lefkaritiko and seems to be a kind of hardanger-like embroidery. Of course the pieces on sale were all pretty expensive - they are hand made, after all - but if I had known about this earlier (and given the time), I would have liked to see if I could find some craft stores and maybe patterns for this kind of work. It looks so pretty, so I'd love to try it out! Maybe some day.




I'll be back with a post about my own crafts shortly, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

Pamela said...

How pretty! So many techniques. How can we find time to try them all?

Mii Stitch said...

Seems that you had a great time while away on your trip to Cyprus.

Bekah said...

Great to see so much local art in Cyprus. Glad the trip went well and that you were able to see a few tours.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I am glad that you got a little bit of time to see the island and meet the people. I am sure there will be some online resources for the embroidery too.

D1-D2 said...

This is called Lefkara Laces and it is VERY similar to hardanger. It is just the shapes and patterns that are created that are slightly different. There is a video here that gives you more information on where it's history https://www.pinterest.com/pin/527554543839635120/

Brigitte said...

Ich war noch nie auf Zypern, aber ich kenne diese Handarbeiten. Eine online Freundin fährt regelmäßig dorthin und hat mir vor etlichen Jahren einmal eine Tischdecke mit Servietten von dort mitgebracht. Diese Stickereien sind unglaublich schön.